Friday, January 16, 2009

U.K. Mother Pregnant with Siamese Twins Resists Abortion Pressure


Lisa Chamberlain, 25, pregnant with dicephalus twins who have separate heads but share a single body, is determined to allow her conjoined daughters a chance at life, despite doctors advice to kill the children in utero.


If the babies survive after birth, they will become the first ever living British dicephalus twins. "Some people might look at me and say 'You're going to give birth to a freak' but I don't care because I feel blessed," Chamberlain said. "To me, my twins are a gift from God and we're determined to give them their chance of life," she said, adding, "I've even give the twins names – Layla and Kelsey – because I think they're going to be little girls. I've been told that 75 per cent of Siamese twins are."


Lisa and Mike Pedace, who are both Catholics, said doctors advised Lisa to kill the children after a routine scan revealed that they had the extremely rare condition. "Some might think my twins are strange but to me they're just special. Even some of my family say they'd have an abortion but I hate the word and I just don't think it's up to us to decide,” Lisa said.


A UK Telegraph report indicated that doctors at St. Mary's Hospital in Portsmouth say that they will not know how many organs the twins share until the twentieth week of pregnancy. They have only detected a single heartbeat so far, but it is possible that another one may emerge.


Michaela Aston of the pro-life group LIFE, the UK's leading provider of crisis pregnancy and post-abortion counseling, commended Lisa on her decision. "This young mother is an example to us all as she unconditionally welcomes her twins into the world," Aston said in Press Association report. "She knows it will be difficult but she is focusing on the fact that she is already the proud mother of these babies and accepts them however they are. They may not be perfect in the eyes of the world but they are fully human and as such should have the same value and right to life as any other human beings. "It is sad that this young mother must face a society which is increasingly unable to accept babies who are not genetically perfect and which may judge her for allowing her twins to continue to live," Aston concluded.


Life Site

6 comments:

Aussie Therese said...

how wonderful she wouldn't kill her children in the womb. I will be praying for this mother and her daughters.

Euripides said...

I wish more mothers cared for their babies with this kind of devotion. That'd be a start to healing the social disorders we've run into in the modern day.

Liberty Belle said...

What a beautiful story. You know, I have my trials in life, but I look at others and marvel a little.

It's the epitome of motherhood to consider your children so dearly.

Secular Heretic said...

It is an beautiful story about a families courage and their determination to stick to their principles.
If we all made an effort to respect and protect life from conception to natural death the world would be a much nicer place.

RD said...

Lisa is a role model to all mothers.
I'm glad she is giving her children a chance at life...just as all mothers should, but sadly, not all mothers do.

Secular Heretic said...

I agree she is a good role model. This is one of the reasons why I wrote about her.