Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Jonathan Porritt chairman of Britain's Sustainable Development Commission said that couples who have more than two children are “irresponsible.”

Jonathan Porritt, Sustainable Development Commission, Abortion, Contraception, Environment, Global Aging


According to Jonathan Porritt abortion and contraception are the preferred solutions to the world’s environmental problems. Porritt said, “I think we will work our way towards a position that says that having more than two children is irresponsible.”


A report by the commission, to be published next month, will say that governments must reduce population growth through better “family planning,” (which means abortion and contraception) even if it means reducing funding for curing illness. Porritt said that a focus of his work will be to urge environmentalist groups to make population control a part of their lobbying efforts.


In June this year, the Optimum Population Trust said that a “voluntary population policy” should be imposed in British law. In 2007, the Trust, reacting to news of a slight increase in the British birth rate, said that the government must institute a two-child policy, similar to that of the People’s Republic of China.


Meanwhile demographers continue to warn of an onrushing, and virtually irreversible, demographic collapse in Europe because of the aging of the European population.


Last year the United Nations released its global population estimates, revealing an alarming population shift that will have serious worldwide consequences within the near future. The blame lies on the rapid spread of abortion, contraception and sterilization in the past century.


The report projects that by 2050, those aged 60 and over will comprise one third of the population in developed regions. These numbers will have a serious effect on the working population, which will be forced to bear an increasingly heavy burden of retirees. Global aging, combined with plummeting birth rates, is a catastrophically dangerous menace that only a few people seem to be waking up to.


In his book “Towards a Theology of the Environment”, Fr. Paul Haffner, an author and professor of theology at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome, said this kind of anti-human thinking is typical of what he calls the materialist “ecologism” ideology that values “the earth” or the environment more than human life.


Perhaps it is time the west started living a simpler lifestyle and using less resources rather than trying to live with only a few people who live an extravagant lifestyle.

Source


Links to similar articles

Abortion and Contraception: the Causes of Global Aging
Demographic Winter

6 comments:

Heather said...

I don't get easily offended, but when I heard this, I was offended. I'm the oldest of six children, the youngest is a senior in high school... Five of us have gone on to 4-year universities, three have graduated. We all have good jobs that, interestingly enough, are not affected by the economy. So my parents are irresponsible!??!?! I don't think so.

Troy said...

Agreed Heather, I'm the oldest of 5 and I think that forcing people against their moral values through abortion and contraception is a huge step in the wrong direction. I believe that large families are a blessing for those in them, parents and children. What a mistake to deny that blessing to anyone who wants it.

Euripides said...

I'm glad my parents didn't think more than two was irresponsible!

Euripides
"Last of Six"

RD said...

Isn't this just ridiculous!
How can they be saying this!
I can't believe they are actually serious...how uneducated.
The devil is really at work in the world today.

Aussie Therese said...

I am glad my parents didn't think it was irresponsible and had more than 2 children. My parents had 5 children. Their third child drowned when she was three. She was here for a short time but has an eternity in heaven to enjoy. I bet she is glad my parents had more than two.

I am glad and I think my younger sister is too.

Interestingly enough if my parents had only had two children, they also would have only had 2 grandchildren so far. I had 6 children before any of my parents had other grandchildren from my siblings. They now have 11 of which 7 are mine.

Secular Heretic said...

Most of us here think along similar lines, that is, life is good. I don't think environmental nuts see it that way. They believe that people cause environmental problems therefor more people must cause more problems. They forget that it is our extravagant life style that is causing environmental problems, not the number of children. Just think about all the people driving to work each morning with only one person in the car. Or all the rubbish you get when purchasing fast food.