Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A fetus is a person too


A little while after my baby stopped moving they gave me an intravenous injection to help stimulate labor. I was in hard labor for 12 hours, all through the night. When finally I delivered, the nurses didn’t make it to my room in time. I delivered my daughter myself at 5:30 the next morning, October 31st. After I delivered her, I held her in my hands. I looked her over from top to bottom. She had a head of hair, and her eyes were opening. I looked at her little tiny feet and hands. Her fingers and toes even had little fingernails and swirls of fingerprints.


Everything was perfect. She was not a “fetus.” She was not a “product of conception.” She was a tiny human being. The pathology report listed her as more than seven inches from head to rump. With her legs extended, she was over a foot long. She weighed a pound-and-a-half, more than many of the premature babies being saved in incubators in every hospital in the country. But these vital statistics did not mention her most striking trait: She was my daughter. Twisted with agony. Silent and still. Dead.


It seemed like I held her for ten minutes or more, but it was probably only 30 seconds because as soon as the nurses came rushing in, they grabbed her from my hands and threw her–literally threw her–into a bedpan and carried her away.


This testimony was originally published in 1987 in the book "Aborted Women, Silent No More".


Read the whole article at Domestic Divapalooza

1 comment:

RD said...

These stories are horrifying, something you just don't ever get used to.
I just don't know how these people involved live with themselves, for instance, the nurse 'throwing' the baby in a bedpan!
Surely that image would burn into her head and affect her somehow...I don't want to even try to think how it CAN'T affect them, when they participate in these inhumane acts.