Monday, August 17, 2009

Sex change verses a sexual orientation change



A man goes to a psychologist with a problem. "Doctor," he says, "I'm suffering terribly. I feel like a woman trapped inside the body of a man. I want to become a woman."


The psychologist responds: "No problem. We can discuss this idea for a couple of years, and if you're still sure you want to be a woman, we can have a surgeon remove your penis, give you hormones for breast enlargement and make other changes to your body. Problem solved."


Gratified, the first patient leaves, followed by a second. "Doctor," he says, "I feel terrible. I'm a man but I feel attracted to other men. I want to change my sexual preference. I want to become heterosexual." The psychologist responds: "Oh no, absolutely not! That would be unethical. Sexual orientation is an immutable characteristic!"


The irony of this little tale is that, while reading like a joke, it is in reality an accurate description of the mental health professions today. While dismissing and condemning reparative therapy for homosexual orientation, the majority of psychiatrists and psychologists in Anglophone North America have embraced the concept of "sex change," a procedure that does nothing more than mutilate the patient to appease his confused mind.


Read more at LifeSiteNews

4 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

I've noted the exact same thing in a few of my posts - no one seems to make the connection.

Gina said...

I can't believe I've never made this connection!
Haha!
Great post - will be using this example a lot now, thanks!

4simpsons said...

That is wildly ironic. Great point!

zayzayem said...

This is not an accurate description of psychologists role in gender/sexuality issues.

If a patient presented with questions about their sexuality identity, a good psychologist would discuss this as seriously as they would concerns about gender identity. Sexuality research can support the mutability of this concept as much as gender.

There is however a big difference between a patient-initiated discussion on sexuality and say parents bringing their child to psychologist hoping they can cure them of TEH GAY, or psychologists immediately thinking that all TEH GAYZ need to be reconverted to the one and only true sexuality.


Psychology is about working out what will result in the outcome most beneficial to a person's mental health. Gender-reassignment is not a surgery to be entered in lightly, and would not be greeted with four sentences ending in "problem solved".